This tutorial might see a bit lengthy, but I promise you that you have to go through these steps only once. Installation of OpenCart extensions after that will be a breeze!
- Download the extension installation archive. It's usually a
.zipfile. For example, download OMFramework Lite (a free mobile OpenCart theme).
- Unzip the installation archive to a folder on your computer.
- Download and install the FileZilla Client.
- Log in to your cPanel
- Click on FTP Accounts
- In the "Add FTP Account" form fill in a username and password and click "Create FTP Account".
- After the FTP account is created, click on "FTP configuration" next to the account name to view your login details
- Open the FileZilla Client
- Copy and paste the FTP server name in the first box ("Host"), the FTP account name ("Username") in the second box and type in your password in the third box. Then click "Quickconnect":
- On the left side you can see the files on your computer and on the right side you can see the files on the server. In the left pane browse to the folder where you extracted the extension installation archive. In the right pane navigate to your OpenCart store main directory (usually
- Usually, there is an
uploadfolder. Right click on it and upload its contents to the main directory of your store.
That's it! You just installed an OpenCart extension. If it causes issues with your store, don't worry. Just follow this tutorial to completely disable the extension.